The American electric utility industry\'s role in promoting climate denial, doubt, and delay...

On Sunday, September 18, 2022 at 8:39:48 AM UTC-7, a a wrote:
Australia is no future land and population fails to grow,
so elderly people don\'t get support from the younger

Australia\'s economy and business may collapse within next 5 years

OZ gets 51% of its electricity by BURNING COAL!!! No wonder their IQ is SO LOW (just look at Bozo for the evidence)!!!!

On Monday, September 19, 2022 at 1:39:48 AM UTC+10, a a wrote:
> Australia is no future land and population fails to grow,

It\'s population has been growing quite rapidly - more by immigration than natural increase. It\'s an actual country, rather than a future land, so it seems unlikely that it will vanish any time soon.

> so elderly people don\'t get support from the younger

Aged care got privatised by a right wing government some time ago, and the quality of care isn\'t uniformly great. My mother was well looked after for the last five years of her life, but my youngest brother is a doctor and we paid to get her into good quality aged care. The new government is committed to doing better for everybody, but it will take a while to clean up the system.

> Australia\'s economy and business may collapse within next 5 years.

Seems unlikely. The US is even more dependent on China for it\'s consumer goods, and it is a much more unequal society, so the poor there are even more to revolt and and dismantle the US system - which wouldn\'t be all that difficult to reconstruct on a more equitable basis, essentially by copying European models.

American exceptionalists do reject that idea - which is essentially what Bernie Sanders has been advocating for years - but American exceptionalists are remarkably stupid, though few of them are quite as stupid as a a.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

On Monday, September 19, 2022 at 7:07:12 AM UTC+10, Flyguy wrote:

OZ gets 51% of its electricity by BURNING COAL!!! No wonder their IQ is SO LOW (just look at Bill for the evidence)!!!!

https://www.energy.gov.au/data/electricity-generation

Gnatguy has quoted a correct number, but he\'s missed the fact that Australia is generating a lot pf power from renewable sources, and the proportion is rising rapidly.

I\'ve been pointing this out to Gnatguy for some time now, but he seems to be incapable of processing the information, which doesn\'t say anything good about his own intelligence.

That fact that he keeps on posting demonstrably wrong and misleading claims.. even after they have been shown to be wrong, does suggest that he is remarkably stupid.

Quite why burning a lot of coal might lower the national IQ escapes me. In a small and densely populated country like the UK it might generate enough air-pollution, like the London smogs, to damage the health of the population but we now know enough to minimise that effect, and Australia was never all that densely populated, even in the big cities. We do go in for urban sprawl.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

On Sunday, September 18, 2022 at 7:55:50 PM UTC-7, bill....@ieee.org wrote:

OZ gets 51% of its electricity by BURNING COAL!!! No wonder their IQ is SO LOW (just look at Bill for the evidence)!!!!

Gnatguy has quoted a correct number, but he\'s missed the fact that Australia is generating a lot pf power from renewable sources, and the proportion is rising rapidly.

I\'ve been pointing this out to Gnatguy for some time now, but he seems to be incapable of processing the information, which doesn\'t say anything good about his own intelligence.

That fact that he keeps on posting demonstrably wrong and misleading claims. even after they have been shown to be wrong, does suggest that he is remarkably stupid.

Quite why burning a lot of coal might lower the national IQ escapes me. In a small and densely populated country like the UK it might generate enough air-pollution, like the London smogs, to damage the health of the population but we now know enough to minimise that effect, and Australia was never all that densely populated, even in the big cities. We do go in for urban sprawl.

--
Bozo Bill Sloman, Sydney

LOL! Hey Bozo, do you KNOW what burning coal does for air pollution? Obviously not. Well, let me enlighten you; coal burning releases:
1. Mercury
2. Lead
3. Sulfur dioxide
4. Nitrogen oxides
5. Particulates
6. Various other heavy metals
Now, tell me which of these are GOOD for mental health?

On Monday, September 19, 2022 at 1:52:37 PM UTC+10, Flyguy wrote:

That fact that he keeps on posting demonstrably wrong and misleading claims. even after they have been shown to be wrong, does suggest that he is remarkably stupid.

LOL! Hey Bozo, do you KNOW what burning coal does for air pollution? Obviously not. Well, let me enlighten you; coal burning releases:
1. Mercury
2. Lead
3. Sulfur dioxide
4. Nitrogen oxides
5. Particulates

Sulphur dioxide gets washed out of the exhaust gasses from coal fired power stations, and has been since the 1970\'s

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid_rain

This also reduces the amounts of other pollution that gets released. It\'s less of problem in a country like Australia with a low population density.

American had more of a problem with lead pollution around highways from the lead tetra-ethyl added to gasoline as an antiknock agent. That too has gone away.

Do try harder to get up to date.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

US banned leaded gasoline in 1996

\"Leaded gasoline is the fuel that is created when tetraethyl lead is added to gasoline. Because lead has serious impacts on public health, leaded gasoline was permanently banned in the US in 1996, in the European Community since 2000, and in most of the developing world in subsequent years.
Leaded gasoline - Global Energy Monitor
www.gem.wiki/Leaded_gasoline

On Monday, 19 September 2022 at 11:44:04 UTC+1, a a wrote:
US banned leaded gasoline in 1996

\"Leaded gasoline is the fuel that is created when tetraethyl lead is added to gasoline. Because lead has serious impacts on public health, leaded gasoline was permanently banned in the US in 1996, in the European Community since 2000, and in most of the developing world in subsequent years.
Leaded gasoline - Global Energy Monitor
www.gem.wiki/Leaded_gasoline

Tetra-ethyl lead has continued to be used in the US for general aviation.
However, there are plans to eliminate it by 2030:
https://www.faa.gov/newsroom/faa-industry-chart-path-eliminate-lead-emissions-general-aviation-end-2030

John

On Monday, September 19, 2022 at 12:19:55 AM UTC-7, bill....@ieee.org wrote:

1. Mercury
2. Lead
3. Sulfur dioxide
4. Nitrogen oxides
5. Particulates
Sulphur dioxide gets washed out of the exhaust gasses from coal fired power stations, and has been since the 1970\'s

This also reduces the amounts of other pollution that gets released. It\'s less of problem in a country like Australia with a low population density.

American had more of a problem with lead pollution around highways from the lead tetra-ethyl added to gasoline as an antiknock agent. That too has gone away.

--
Bozo Bill Sloman, Sydney

No, Bozo, YOU are the one who didn\'t know what emissions coal burning results in. Your \"solution\" is sending the pollution somewhere else, killing them instead of you. Low density doesn\'t mean ZERO DENSITY, fool:
https://source.wustl.edu/2021/06/new-research-finds-1m-deaths-in-2017-attributable-to-fossil-fuel-combustion/#:~:text=They%20found%20that%20worldwide%2C%20more,deaths%20were%20attributable%20to%20coal.

On Tuesday, September 20, 2022 at 2:27:46 PM UTC+10, Flyguy wrote:

<snip>

No, Bozo, YOU are the one who didn\'t know what emissions coal burning results in. Your \"solution\" is sending the pollution somewhere else, killing them instead of you. Low density doesn\'t mean ZERO DENSITY, fool:
https://source.wustl.edu/2021/06/new-research-finds-1m-deaths-in-2017-attributable-to-fossil-fuel-combustion/#:~:text=They%20found%20that%20worldwide%2C%20more,deaths%20were%20attributable%20to%20coal.

Washing particulates out of chimney smoke doesn\'t send them anywhere else, and rain washes particulates out of the atmosphere in the same way.

When I was growing up in Tasmania the silver-lead-zinc mine in Queenstown, about a hundred miles south of where I lived, used to roast the ores close to the mine and the fumes used to poison the vegetation for a few miles around the mines They put scrubbers on the stacks while I was still in secondary school and when I went through the area with my wife around 2015 on a nostalgia trip the vegetation had entirely recovered. They ignoramus here is you.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

On Monday, October 3, 2022 at 1:34:07 PM UTC+11, Flyguy wrote:
On Monday, September 19, 2022 at 10:12:40 PM UTC-7, bill....@ieee.org wrote:

snip

This also reduces the amounts of other pollution that gets released.. It\'s less of problem in a country like Australia with a low population density.

No, YOU are the one who didn\'t know what emissions coal burning results in. Your \"solution\" is sending the pollution somewhere else, killing them instead of you. Low density doesn\'t mean ZERO DENSITY, fool:
?

Washing particulates out of chimney smoke doesn\'t send them anywhere else, and rain washes particulates out of the atmosphere in the same way.

Washing particulates does NOTHING for mercury and lead gases emitted by the burning of coal.

Mercury has small but finite vapour pressure at room temperature, and there are situations around chemistry laboratories where this can create a problem

\"Stock, Alfred (1933). The Hydrides of Boron and Silicon. New York: Cornell University Press.\"

is a full bottle on the subject, and is listed in the references in my Ph.D.. thesis. In real life there are enough sulphides around that any mercury vapor turns in to mercury sulphide, and isn\'t a threat.

The mercury sulphide particles do get washed out of the atmosphere, and so do lead oxides and sulphides. Tetraethyl lead was much more of problem if you lives close to a motorway.

When I was growing up in Tasmania the silver-lead-zinc mine in Queenstown, about a hundred miles south of where I lived, used to roast the ores close to the mine and the fumes used to poison the vegetation for a few miles around the mines They put scrubbers on the stacks while I was still in secondary school and when I went through the area with my wife around 2015 on a nostalgia trip the vegetation had entirely recovered. The ignoramus here is you.

Now we know where your dementia originated from.

You\'ve formed an ill-founded hypothesis about what might have caused a non-existent dementia epidemic.

For you this constitutes evidence that lets you be totally confident about what is really going on. You\'d have to be remarkably stupid to be that confident, but you are remarkably stupid. If you were right, Hannah Gadsby would have to be equally demented - she grew up in Smithton in Tasmania, which is about as far away from Queenstown as the town where I grew up some thirty years earlier.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

On 10/2/22 21:11, Anthony William Sloman wrote:
Tetraethyl lead was much more of problem if you lives close to a
motorway.

Gnatguy works at the diner, on the local flyin\' field property,
remember, and avgas still does contain lead.

https://www.faa.gov/newsroom/leaded-aviation-fuel-and-environment

On Sunday, October 2, 2022 at 9:11:29 PM UTC-7, bill....@ieee.org wrote:

snip

No, YOU are the one who didn\'t know what emissions coal burning results in. Your \"solution\" is sending the pollution somewhere else, killing them instead of you. Low density doesn\'t mean ZERO DENSITY, fool:
?

Washing particulates does NOTHING for mercury and lead gases emitted by the burning of coal.
Mercury has small but finite vapour pressure at room temperature, and there are situations around chemistry laboratories where this can create a problem

\"Stock, Alfred (1933). The Hydrides of Boron and Silicon. New York: Cornell University Press.\"

is a full bottle on the subject, and is listed in the references in my Ph..D. thesis. In real life there are enough sulphides around that any mercury vapor turns in to mercury sulphide, and isn\'t a threat.

The mercury sulphide particles do get washed out of the atmosphere, and so do lead oxides and sulphides. Tetraethyl lead was much more of problem if you lives close to a motorway.

When I was growing up in Tasmania the silver-lead-zinc mine in Queenstown, about a hundred miles south of where I lived, used to roast the ores close to the mine and the fumes used to poison the vegetation for a few miles around the mines They put scrubbers on the stacks while I was still in secondary school and when I went through the area with my wife around 2015 on a nostalgia trip the vegetation had entirely recovered. The ignoramus here is you.
You\'ve formed an ill-founded hypothesis about what might have caused a non-existent dementia epidemic.

For you this constitutes evidence that lets you be totally confident about what is really going on. You\'d have to be remarkably stupid to be that confident, but you are remarkably stupid. If you were right, Hannah Gadsby would have to be equally demented - she grew up in Smithton in Tasmania, which is about as far away from Queenstown as the town where I grew up some thirty years earlier.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Try again, Bozo, PM removal doesn\'t do the whole job (https://www3.epa.gov/airtoxics/utility/hgwhitepaperfinal.pdf):

\"Plants that employ only PM controls experienced average HgT emission reductions ranging from 0 to 90 percent.\"

On Wednesday, October 5, 2022 at 4:31:16 PM UTC+11, Flyguy wrote:
On Sunday, October 2, 2022 at 9:11:29 PM UTC-7, bill....@ieee.org wrote:
On Monday, September 19, 2022 at 12:19:55 AM UTC-7, bill....@ieee..org wrote:

<snip>

?

is a full bottle on the subject, and is listed in the references in my Ph.D. thesis. In real life there are enough sulphides around that any mercury vapor turns in to mercury sulphide, and isn\'t a threat.

Try again, Bozo, PM removal doesn\'t do the whole job (https://www3.epa.gov/airtoxics/utility/hgwhitepaperfinal.pdf):

\"Plants that employ only PM controls experienced average HgT emission reductions ranging from 0 to 90 percent.\"

It\'s a 2003 report on work in progress. It does talk about ways of doing better, which presumably cost more money, and US politics is full of politicians who will take money to let polluters get away with spending less money on cleaning up their act.

The point that you are ignoring is that that kind of pollution doesn\'t travel far, even when it is allowed to get out of the smoke stack. The horrendous contamination around the Queenstown silver-lead-zinc mines in Tasmania messed up the vegetation within a coupe,of miles of the smelters, until they put in scrubbers, but none of that was visible when we went through the area in 2015.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back